The Diary of a Displaced Housewife is now Life In Fuchsia…


'The Diary of the Displaced Housewife' is now 'Life in Fuschia'

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Review of the Charming Villa Shanti, Pondicherry

During a recent trip to Puducherry (or Pondicherry… go figure!), I happen to visit Villa Shanti based on a recommendation by a friend.  Since I had no clue what to expect, I entered the elegant Grey 19th Century home in the French quarter of town with an open mind. It turned out to be the best meal during my whole trip. Disappointed by the bleh and barely mediocre food at some very popular Pondicherry restaurants, my husband and I decided it was just bad food karma. Thankfully Villa Shanti turned things around and was a much-welcomed respite. The service was good even though they were full and the prices while may be a bit high were not too bad.


I liked the easy décor that was a nice blend of classic meets contemporary elegance that never comes across as contrived.

Now before I say anything more, meet my new friend…

The Gorgeous Orange Cake With Decadent Chocolate Mousse


To start things off we had the mint and pea soup that was quite delightful. The green papaya salad was refreshing with a nice sweetness to it balanced out by the right hit of savory.

Zucchini And Walnut Stuffed Crepes In A Duo Of Sauces Served With A Crisp Salad

L to R: Buttery Nans, Crispy French Fries, Kesar Murg

For the main course, I had the zucchini and walnut stuffed crepes were amazing while the hubster had the kesar murg with the melt in your mouth butter nan. My daughter apparently decided to live off French fries the entire duration of the trip. Toddlers. And yes, the fries were nice too.

However the crown jewel of Villa Shanti is their orange cake with chocolate mousse. It was well flavored as the orange never overwhelmed. The chocolate mousse made me want to dive right into a vat of it. (Sigh… some dreams are destined to remain dreams.) But yes, it was THAT good. Now go get your own.

PS: Also try the home made lime tart with coconut flakes at La Maison Rose. The rest of our meal there was very average but the lime tart was simply amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment